Monday 30 January 2012

14 Week Challange - Twirl

Hi folks, this week we will be working on twirl. So to start off, as always, I started with inspiaration and looked for artists that inspired me. Upon reference, I stumbled upon Will Davies a struggling artist who grew up in 30's and admired the romantic art in the American Magazine. Click here to look for more info on Will Davies.

As a Photographer and a Graphic Designer, I instantly connected with his work because of the emotion portrayed in his work. When he painted people, as a viewer I could feel the emotion between the people. When I try to display my art or photo, I try to look for some emotion within the photographed people.

The Image that catches my attention is the wrap around artwork that he did for Harlequin Magazine. The reason why I chose this as my twirl inspiration was because of Wills love for romance art shows on the painting. In the painting he has nice and bright vibrant complementary colours. The way she is sitting is she is twirled on him, a very realistic style of painting technique. 

So after picking the image, I decided to research and found that leif peng has already described the step by step demonstration work posted on here.



The way Will works is not by thumbnailing right away but thinking of what elements he wants in his head clearly then he puts it on a piece of paper the way he wants it. And once he is done sketching roughly he shows it for proofing. He then starts with the next part of the project by photographing the people in it. In the image above he put his kids on the table with a friends wife as mother and act out a little role. I believe that by photographing the people in, it is easier to show the actual size and proportion of people and the exact emotion that they would feel at the exact moment.

Ive chosen the same path that Will has used. For his thumbnails he used pastels not markers, but since I dont own pastels I will be using charcoal to sketch in thumbnails. 




Once I completed my thumbnail, I went to my next step which is photograph it. I asked my two friends who are now married, to be my models. There is a place nearby in town that has a nice background to it. My thumbnail was drawn because I had already thought of which place would be good to shoot at. Fortunately for me I caught one of the good day to shoot.



So after I got the image I was looking for, I jumped on photoshop and started with editing the photo and adjust the colour. So after I started with drawing in simple outlines and went on from there. Pictures speak larger than words so i'll let the pictures do the talking.


and to add finishing touches to it, i added a forest backdrop to it.
 Time to add some text to it and finish it up. This becomes a 2 page spread of a Womens Magazine.

Till next time Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment